manual: add syscall list appendix

Alejandro Colomar alx@kernel.org
Thu May 16 15:03:27 GMT 2024

Hi Carlos,

On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 10:52:22AM GMT, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> >> This needs a configure argument to specify which version of the Linux man-pages project
> >> release is the version we've looked at to make sure we match the behaviour for the
> >> specified syscalls.
> >>
> >> I think we should specifically reference e.g. Linux man-pages X.Y.
> >
> > I'll check later.  Can you tell me a little bit more about what you're
> > doing and what you want feedback about?
>
> Where glibc provides only syscall wrappers I want to include by reference the Linux
> man-pages descriptions, at a specific version, for the behaviour of those APIs.

LGTM.  For such change:

Acked-by: Alejandro Colomar <alx@kernel.org>

> This has two positive benefits:
>
> - Focuses all of our efforts on keeping linux man-pages accurate for the syscall
>   wrappers.
>
> - Provides glibc documentation for the APIs by way of a normative reference.
>
>   - This may be required from a process perspective if anyone is using glibc
>     in an implementation that attempts to attain standards conformance for
>     the APIs in question e.g. ISO 9001, IEC 61508, IEC 61511-1, or ISO 26262.
>
> Right now we lack documentation for epoll for example in glibc, and to recreate
> that would be a lot of work, and I think a collaboration between the glibc manual
> and the Linux man-pages project would be a better solution.

Sure!  Whatever you need from me, please let me know.

I'm also trying to write in the HISTORY section of manual pages any
important changes that have affected functions, so if you want to add
details to any page in those sections to make more clear the glibc
versions that added support, or some other changes, they're very
welcome.

Have a lovely day!
Alex

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
A client is hiring kernel driver, mm, and/or crypto developers;