Soft freeze and schedule for the upcoming glibc 2.40 release

Andreas K. Huettel dilfridge@gentoo.org
Tue Jun 18 11:06:11 GMT 2024

Hi all,

as already announced we're slightly modifying the schedule for the
upcoming glibc-2.40 release this time. We start with the soft freeze
6 weeks before release, so there is more time for machine testing on
slow/unusual/old architectures.

- June 18, "soft freeze"
  * No new ABI additions *started*
  * ABI corrections should be reviewed, RM approval not required.
  * Avoid any changes that require action by the ports (including all
    that require ulps regeneration)
  * Bug fixes
  * Monday patch review switches to
     - reviewing critical bug list,
     - ABI issues, and
     - acceptance or deferring of patch series already
       available on the list / in patchwork
  * "What still needs to go in?"

Right now the list of "desirables" on the wiki page is still empty.
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release/2.40#Desirable_this_release.3F

Please reply to this list with your wishes and recommendations of
what existing work we should still add before the release.

- July 4, "hard freeze"
  * Machine testing
  * Noncritical bug fixes
  * No ABI changes without RM discussion.
  * High risk bug fixes should be discussed on the list.

- August 1, release

Cheers,
Andreas

--