Core Toolchain Infrastructure - Update on glibc service SOW

Sam James sam@gentoo.org
Sun Jul 7 11:31:13 GMT 2024

"Zack Weinberg" <zack@owlfolio.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 5, 2024, at 5:42 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> On 6/30/24 3:45 AM, Sam James wrote:
>>> I have to ask at what point this process stops one way or another. I
>>> don't really see evidence of consensus any time this comes up.
>>
>> The process of switching infrastructure, for me, would stop when we've
>> supported all of the GNU Toolchain moving to paid services for the
>> stated goals of CTI.
>>
>> Some part of the community are vocal opponents to the change in
>> service providers, just like some were vocal opponents to the
>> adoption of DCO.
>>
>> I hear those voices, but for the benefit of the project I will act to
>> have glibc switch to CTI services because I'm empowered to support
>> that change for what I evaluate to be the good of the glibc project
>> and the GNU Toolchain.
>>
>>> What would make it clear to you whether there is, or isn't,
>>> consensus?
>>
>> A clearly communicated problem from a concerned interest would show
>> that we don't have consensus.
>>
>> Right now I see that some in the community do not like this change,
>> but I need to evaluate beyond that position for the sake of the
>> project.

Thank you Zack. You've expressed what I was trying to get at in a far
more articulate way.

> [...]
>
> If I were the person organizing this move, I would consider it necessary
> to get the *positive buy-in* of everyone who has raised a hard objection
> before proceeding any further.  To ensure that the people who raised
> less strongly held concerns also feel completely heard, I would then
> bring the entire matter back to the community for a straw poll.

I agree with the rest of what you've said, but picking up on this in
particular: I don't see anyone other than Carlos and Sid speaking in
favour of this?

I would expect to hear from other stewards in favour of it, as well as
other developers. I would also expect to hear from others members of
the TAC.

libc-alpha is the heart of the glibc community, not an afterthought -
it's important that the process reflect that.

> [...]

thanks,
sam