Updating Italian libc translation for ESTALE in glibc

Federico Bruni fede@inventati.org
Mon Apr 17 21:15:18 GMT 2023



Il giorno lun 17 apr 2023 alle 22:46:35 +0200, Daniele Forsi 
<dforsi@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> Hello Carlos,
> 
>>  I have an Italian translation for ESTALE that could be used.
> 
> the translations that you quoted are wrong because they are
> translating "handle" as "handling"
>>  msgstr "Gestione del file NFS interrotta"
>>  msgstr "Gestione file obsoleti"
> 
> 
> the word "handle" is difficult to translate in this context and I
> don't know a translation for "stale" in this context better than the
> one in RHEL6 and RHEL7, however I would use a singular form, so I
> suggest:
> msgid "Stale file handle"
> msgstr "Handle di file obsoleto"
> 
> I found some hits on search engines for "handle di file" but none for
> "handle di file obsoleto"
> 

I think "handle" should be translated.
There's no Italian translation in Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handle_(computing)

As it's described as an abstract reference to a resource (a file), I 
would use the translation of reference, that is:

"Riferimento obsoleto al file"
"Riferimento al file obsoleto"

Which one sounds better?
The handle is stale (not the file), right?





More information about the Libc-alpha mailing list