Rename "master" branch to "main" for glibc 2.35 release.

Carlos O'Donell carlos@redhat.com
Mon Jan 31 22:49:14 GMT 2022

On 1/31/22 11:19, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2022, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote:
>
>> My proposal is to rename the development and release branches at the point
>> that glibc 2.35 branches:
>>
>> * master -> main
>>
>> * release/2.35/master -> release/2.35/main
>>
>> No alias would be provided for the master branch; we would immediately
>> start using 'main' as the development branch.
>
> I strongly disapprove of the approach of renaming an existing branch
> without providing an alias.  Branches aren't just consumed by active
> developers, there are many people with their own checkouts, automatically
> updating mirrors, etc., many of which may be useful to their users without
> much active maintenance and without anyone following glibc mailing lists;
> it's gratuitous to break them.

Just for clarity then, if we do the work to support "main" and "master", and add an alias
from "master" to "main" (git status would show as being on "main"), would that have
your support?

Carlos.