Monday Patch Queue Review update (2022-08-08)

Carlos O'Donell carlos@redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 21:01:35 GMT 2022

Most recent meeting status is always here:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/PatchworkReviewMeetings#Update

Meeting: 2022-08-08 @ 0900h EST5EDT

Video/Audio: https://bluejeans.com/9093064454

IRC: #glibc on OFTC.

Review new patches and attendee requested reviews.

 - Status NEW delegate NOBODY at 218 patches.
 - Starting 56589 (last start 56467)
 - [v1] elf: Replace `strcpy` call with `memcpy` [BZ #29454] (Noah)
  - Needs review.
 - [v1] x86: Fix `#define STRCPY` guard in strcpy-sse2.S (Noah)
  - HJ to review?
 - [RFC] elf: fine-grained output LD_DEBUG log when symbol lookup error
  - Florian to point out this doesn't do what they want.
 - stdlib: tests: don't double-define _FORTIFY_SOURCE (Sam)
  - Siddhesh to review.
  - Adhemerval: Do we support building glibc with _FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 on
    by default?
  - Tested by Gentoo and it's working.
 - [RFC] RISC-V: Implement {convert,round}toint() (Palmer)
 - [v3] Remove catomics (Wilco)
  - Adhemerval to comment on a strategy that can involve staggered removal
 - [v1] stdlib: Add more room for reuse of random bits in arc4random_uniform
  - Given Noah's comments marked as dropped.
 - x86-64: Restore LD_PREFER_MAP_32BIT_EXEC support [BZ #28656] (HJ)
  - Florian will continue discussion with HJ about kernel support.
 - feat: crypt support sm3 algorithm (Mingjun)
  - Carlos marked rejected because it needs to go to libxcrypt.
 - resolv: Set a timeout for TCP-based query read (bug 19643)
 - Skip to 56275 to review older bugs.
 - [V2] resolv: use arc4random_uniform in the generation of random ids
  - Carlos marked as changes requested.
 - longlong: Update the checks for "mul" on RISC-V (Palmer)
  - Reviewed by Andreas. Marked Changes Requested.
 - inet: Turn __ivaliduser into a compatibility symbol (Florian)
  - Needs a v2. Marked changes requested.
 - Stopped at 56223.
 - Szabolcs: There are licensing discrepancies between various start.S
   assembly files for architectures and this should be corrected in order
   to move towards the expected license behaviour.
  - Carlos: I agree. We can take this up with the FSF to adjust.
 - Florian: Fixing the mount.h header file conflict.
  - Adhemerval: Discussed this briefly.
  - Siddhesh: It's sys/fs and linux/fs that breaks things and I've
    filed several bugs for maintainers to move one way or the other.
  - Florian: qemu developers have had to copy things.
  - Ahdemerval: If the user needs the kernel interface then they should
    use syscalls directly and should use the linux headers directly.
    Why do we need to mix the header usage?
  - Florian: We don't have a wrapper header for linux/fs.h.
  - Adhemerval: We can work on a fix.
 - Adhemerval: How are we going to handle the posix_spawn issue?
  - Florian: Linux 6.0 will have the vfork+exec fix.
  - Florian: I'll file some backport requests for the kernel.

Carlos.