Is getpass(3) really obsolete?

Joseph Myers joseph@codesourcery.com
Mon Nov 1 21:31:31 GMT 2021

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) via Libc-alpha wrote:

> > See the discussion of deprecation starting with
> > <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-alpha/2021-May/126356.html> (C2X
> > has also deprecated those functions).  The comments in that thread
> > supported marking the functions deprecated, but it needs someone to send a
> > patch and I don't know what breakage might result in applications using
> > those functions.
>
> Thanks.  The latest draft for C2x that I know of is N2596.  Is there any newer
> draft that I can consult for these things?  I see many proposals, but it's

The latest public draft is N2731, but there are still various accepted
proposals not included in there, including N2566 (wording version 2) which
I believe was accepted in October 2020 (I think issue 68 in the (private)
C standard GitLab, for integrating that paper, has been incorrectly closed
without integrating it).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com