time64 functions for glibc

Adhemerval Zanella adhemerval.zanella@linaro.org
Mon May 31 16:01:31 GMT 2021

On 31/05/2021 12:43, Elmar Stellnberger via Libc-alpha wrote:
> Dear maintainers of the glibc
>
>   The year 2038 is coming soon and I still have many 32bit programs in use. There has been a draft to make glibc time64_t fit:
> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Y2038ProofnessDesign
>
>   Unfortunately this has not been implemented all the years since the time has become 64bit in the kernel. Under Windows time64_t is available since long. Can you please tell me when you are planning to work on this? - I am currently programming https://www.elstel.org/atea/ and of course I would have liked to make the program time64_t fit without having to access kernel sources and without having to implement time64_t2char* conversion myself. The time implementation of libopenssl is also 32bit but it has a wraparound so that proper ASN-time usage will be possible after 2038. - And what about all the 32bit SoC computers like the Raspberry Pi? They also run Linux!!
>
> Yours Sincerely,
> Elmar Stellnberger
>
> P.S.: Please acknowledge the receival of this email before you answer.

It is on 2.34 plan [1], Carlos O'Donnel is reviewing it.  Similar to LFS,
you will need a newer flag to actually enable it (-D_TIME_BITS=64).

The intended work for 2.34 still misses some ABI (utmp, utmpx, and lastlogin)
and installed programs would still use 32-bit; but it should enable
programs to proper support 64-bit.

[1] https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=2199