Maintainer status: patch review required?

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh@gotplt.org
Tue Jun 29 12:46:32 GMT 2021

On 6/29/21 3:59 PM, Florian Weimer via Libc-alpha wrote:
> <https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/MAINTAINERS> says this:
>
> | Where someone is listed in the Maintainers column, they may at their
> | discretion consider their own patches in that area to have consensus
> | without waiting for third-party review, although other people may
> | still review patches in that area and it may turn out that a patch by
> | someone listed does not in fact have consensus and needs changing or
> | reverting.
>
> But I'm not sure to what extent we follow that process today.
>
> I have some libresolv changes coming up (rather tedious stuff—splitting
> things into files, GNU style conversion, then moving into libc), and I'm
> listed as the network maintainer.  So per the wiki, I could just push
> them.  Is this what we want?

My understanding of that is that the listed maintainers are trusted to
push code if they're confident about their change.  They're always free
to ask for review if they aren't sure or would like a second pair of
eyes on the patches.  So in that context, if you're sure about the
change, go for it, we trust you to be more right than wrong :)

Siddhesh