Seeking input from developers: glibc copyright assignment policy.

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh@gotplt.org
Mon Jun 28 13:06:21 GMT 2021

On 6/28/21 5:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> To flip it around, if I as the second party to that agreement, claim
>> that the agreement means that I am entitled to compensation for my
>> patches or some other ridiculous claim, does that claim have weight?
>
> On which parts of the document will you base this ridiculous claim?

It was a general question, not specific to the document to get across
the point that one cannot make generally acceptable claims that way.
You can trust them if you want, but you need to be aware that they can
be disputed.

>>> But they are all allowed, according to the article, so why does it
>>> matter?
>>
>> Because an article is not a legal document.
>
> Since legal documents rarely change, reasonable interpretation by
> experts is what you have to do with.  It is very strange to hear what
> you say in this case, given that no one else seems to be of the same
> opinion, everyone else interpret this as a grant of unlimited
> nonexclusive rights.  It almost sounds like you don't _want_ the
> language to mean that.

I too have been worried that I'm the only one publicly making this
interpretation.  This is especially because I too, like you had
incorrectly assumed that the grant back returned the same unlimited
rights to me as part of the assignment process; I even retracted that
upthread after Florian's comment and subsequent reading.

And now that I think of it (and it's pretty much been front and centre
in my head all weekend), I remember at least one entity I have worked
with in the past having made this interpretation, specifically with
respect to the FSF agreement and making sure they worked around it.  I
did not quite understand it then and assumed it to be paranoia.

To be clear, I don't doubt the FSF's intention with respect to the
agreement.  I have no reason to believe that they'll misuse the
assignment not do I have any interest in relicensing code I have
assigned to the FSF either directly or otherwise.  What I am trying to
get across however is that there's no canonical interpretation.

Siddhesh