Seeking input from developers: glibc copyright assignment policy.

Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org
Sat Jun 26 06:31:31 GMT 2021

> Cc: fweimer@redhat.com, libc-alpha@sourceware.org
> From: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@gotplt.org>
> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 19:36:30 +0530
>
> On 6/25/21 7:14 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > One reference I'm aware of is this:
> >
> >    https://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2014/spring/copyright-assignment-at-the-fsf
> >
> > It explicitly says the developer can "modify, share, and sublicense
> > their own work under terms of their choice".
>
> That's a claim from the FSF, which does not to correspond to the text of
> the agreement; I don't know if that can be viewed as a clarification.

Since those are the guys to whom the assignment goes, I think their
claim does have some weight.  And note the authors of that article.

But if that's insufficient, whose opinion will satisfy you?

> If I looked at the same article in a different context, it appears to me
> that "use" is distinct enough from "modify, share and sublicense" that
> the latter needs to be spelled out explicitly.

But they are all allowed, according to the article, so why does it
matter?