A collection of LD_AUDIT bugs that are important for tools (with better formatting for this list)

Florian Weimer fweimer@redhat.com
Wed Jun 23 06:32:30 GMT 2021

* Adhemerval Zanella:

> Currently, you need to interpose both pthread_create and thrd_create.  Florian
> has suggested we allow pthread_create to be interposable (meaning glibc will
> issue a plt call on each usage).
>
> We can do it for clone instead, it would have the advantage to hide
> the multiple architecture different kernel ABIs.

But the clone call is very low-level.  The start routine is not called
with a fully configured thread, so wrapping the startup routine would be
rather awkward.

The guts of posix_spawn are equally tricky because code is running
without a properly configured TCB and stack.  I'm not sure if it
possible to call an interceptable execve from posix_spawn, for instance.
We would need to know more about interceptor requirements to see if
there is a solution.

Thanks,
Florian