Seeking input from developers: glibc copyright assignment policy.

Adhemerval Zanella adhemerval.zanella@linaro.org
Mon Jun 14 20:22:54 GMT 2021

On 14/06/2021 15:52, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote:
> Community,
>
> glibc was created as part of the GNU Project but has grown to operate as
> an autonomous project. As part of the GNU Toolchain the glibc stewards
> support the gcc project policy changes presented here:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2021-June/236182.html
>
> The glibc stewards are seeking input from developers to decide if the project
> should relax the requirement to assign copyright for all changes to the
> Free Software Foundation as follows:
>
> Contributors who have an FSF Copyright Assignment wouldn't need to
> change anything.  Contributors who wish to utilize the Developer Certificate
> of Origin[1] would add a Signed-off-by message to their commit messages.
>
> The changes to accept patches with or without FSF copyright assignment
> would be effective on August 2nd, and would apply to all open branches.
>
> The glibc stewards, like the GCC SC, continue to affirm the principles of
> Free Software, and that will never change.
>
> glibc will continue to be developed, distributed, and licensed under the
> GNU Lesser General Public License v2.1 or any later version as
> published by the Free Software Foundation.
>
> Input on this issue is accepted until July 1st 2021.

>From the gcc maillist thread [1], it seemed that the vast majority if not
all gcc developers were in favor of the change. I also agree this is the
way forward to help improve contributions and the project engagement.

[1] https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2021-June/236182.html