call for volunteer: cicd trybots

DJ Delorie dj@redhat.com
Tue Aug 17 20:15:23 GMT 2021

TL;DR: I'm looking for someone to try making a trybot.

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/CICDDesign
https://gitlab.com/djdelorie/glibc-cicd

Long version:

For the last few (many?) months or so, I've been working on an
automated testing system that works with our email-based workflow.
Currently, we have a patchwork instance that monitors the mailing list
and collects patches and patch series:

https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/

You'll note that each patch or series has a green or red dot under the
S/W/F column (success, warnings, failure).  These "checks" come from
what we call "trybots" - I've written one to see if the patches apply
cleanly, and one to do a 32-bit build and test for regressions.

These checks are used in the weekly patch review meetings to weed out
patches with known problems, and Carlos would like more checks for
these... of course ;-)

So we're looking for someone to "give it a try" by checking out my
repo, reading the documentation, and seeing if you can set up a local
runner and 64-bit trybot (you get to choose the arch :) that uses the
existing curator and reports to patchwork.

Of course, I'll be around to help and answer questions, but I'm
hopeful that either the documentation is sufficient, or by "doing it
blind" I'll get valuable feedback about where the documentation is
lacking.

And to summarize the documented catch: you'll need to set up a local
mariadb database and rabbitmq server, and become a little familiar
with containers (if you do what my builder does).  There's some docs
and config info in the cicd files, but it's really geared around a
stock Fedora install and RPMs.  There's also a short laundry list of
assorted RPMs for dependencies (mostly python modules) to install.

Thanks!
DJ