Failures building glibc with mainline GCC

Joseph Myers joseph@codesourcery.com
Tue Aug 3 21:00:20 GMT 2021

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 10:20:49AM -0600, Martin Sebor via Gcc wrote:
> > On 8/3/21 9:54 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> > >As discussed, this is a bug indicating that the code generating that
> > >warning fails to check targetm.addr_space.zero_address_valid to determine
> > >whether zero or small constant addresses are valid in the given address
> > >space.
> >
> > Yes, we know about that one.  What I'm asking for is the translation
> > units with the other warnings you showed with the latest GCC (including
> > the threader patches) on the other targets (including i686 and power).
> > I don't have an easy way to create them using my setup.
>
> But you do have a cfarm account :-)

And build-many-glibcs.py is designed to be self-contained (depending only
on the Python 3 standard library and basic native compilation tools), so
having got a copy from a glibc checkout, you can do (given /some/where as
the directory in which you want build-many-glibcs.py to do its checkouts
and builds):

build-many-glibcs.py /some/where checkout gcc-vcs-mainline
/some/where/src/glibc/scripts/build-many-glibcs.py /some/where host-libraries
/some/where/src/glibc/scripts/build-many-glibcs.py --keep=failed /some/where compilers i686-gnu powerpc-linux-gnu powerpc64-linux-gnu

which will check out all the sources needed to build glibc, using mainline
GCC, build the GMP/MPFR/MPC host libraries needed by GCC, then build cross
toolchains for the three listed targets, keeping the build directories
around for build stages that fail (in this case, the glibc build for those
targets).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com