/etc/services and other system databases moved to /usr/etc

Petr Vorel pvorel@suse.cz
Fri Sep 11 10:45:24 GMT 2020

Hi,

few months ago openSUSE Tumbleweed moved /etc/services and some other configuration
files (/etc/ethers, /etc/networks, /etc/protocols) into /usr/etc (see Thorsten post [1]).

This leads to error in prune_cache() in nscd/cache.c:
nscd[1662]: 1662 checking for monitored file `/etc/services': No such file or directory

Is it a distro problem and these files should be symlinked to /etc? (that
IMHO still keeps /etc unchanged as the goal of this [1]).

Not sure if other distros are going to follow, but I'd like glibc watches also
/usr/etc even if openSUSE is the only distro which is using it.

We could simply check for file in /usr/etc if missing or allow to redefine at
least some paths in resolv/netdb.h (/usr/include/netdb.h) and in
nss/nss_files/files-init.c?

Kind regards,
Petr

[1] https://kubic.opensuse.org/blog/2019-12-05-usr-etc/