Question about alignment of struct _Unwind_Exception

Florian Weimer fweimer@redhat.com
Wed Nov 4 19:31:04 GMT 2020

* Peter Bergner:

> FYI, I am looking at backing out the GCC BIGGEST_ALIGNMENT change.
> I had done that as a way to increase the alignment of the MMA types,
> which we want more aligned than 128 (the current BIGGEST_ALIGNMENT
> value) for performance reasons.  Clearly, changing BIGGEST_ALIGNMENT
> is the wrong way to do that given the problems you're encountering.
> If I can align the MMA types a different way, then the default
> alignment will go back to 128 bits, which should "fix" the issue
> you are seeing.

x86-64 does this as well if 512-bit vector types exist.  We need to fix
this in glibc.  (Maybe things work out due to the struct pthread layout
on x86-64, but it's still a bug.)

Thanks,
Florian
--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael O'Neill