[Y2038][time namespaces] Question regarding CLOCK_REALTIME support plans in Linux time namespaces

Cyril Hrubis chrubis@suse.cz
Tue Nov 3 12:43:23 GMT 2020

Hi!
> Virtualization is the right answer to the testing problem and if people
> really insist on running their broken legacy apps past 2038, then stick
> them into a VM and charge boatloads of money for that service.

Let me just emphasise this with a short story. Before I release LTP I do
a lot of pre-release testruns to make sure that all tests works well on
a different distributions and kernel versions.

Before I wrote a script that automated this[1] i.e. runs all the tests in
qemu and filters out the interesting results it took me a few days of
manual labor to finish the task. Now I just schedulle the jobs and after
a day or two I get the results. Even if the tested kernel crashes, which
happens a lot, the machine is just restarted automatically and the
testrun carries on with a next test. All in all the work that has been
put into the solution wasn't that big to begin with it took me a week to
write a first prototype from a scratch.

[1] https://github.com/metan-ucw/runltp-ng

--
Cyril Hrubis