Closing glibc release branches 2.18 - 2.24.

Carlos O'Donell carlos@redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 14:32:00 GMT 2020

On 3/31/20 4:08 AM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> On 2020-03-26 16:35, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote:
>> On 3/26/20 4:32 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>> Community,
>>>
>>> Given the information on the Release page here:
>>> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release/
>>>
>>> I would like to close the following branches to fixes:
>>
>> release/2.18/master
>> release/2.19/master
>> release/2.20/master
>> release/2.21/master
>> release/2.22/master
>> release/2.23/master
>> release/2.24/master
>>
>> And this time without accidentally hitting send...
>>
>> I would like to limit the depth to which we should be
>> backporting CVE fixes.
>>
>> Debian 10, buster, is using glibc 2.29, so I think closing
>> this to 2.24 is OK.
>
> Debian 10 is actually using glibc 2.28, but it doesn't change the
> conclusion and I am personally fine with it.

Thanks. Given that we have Fedora and Debian represented here, I'm
going to go ahead and close these branches. I'm not suggesting that
Fedora and Debian are the only distros we care about, but that Fedora
and Debian are the most active distributions I see using the release
branches for their intended purposes. If either of us disagreed with
the closure then that would be a problem for reaching consensus.

I'm updating the wiki right now.

If anyone objects, please raise the objection here and we can reopen
branches as needed or discuss requirements.

Carlos.