Rename "master" branch to "main"?

Carlos O'Donell carlos@redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 20:14:15 GMT 2020

On 6/30/20 2:59 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha:
>
>> My concern is that git, as a project, has not yet changed their default,
>
> I don't think this matters because the default branch during clone is
> set by the server.  The default branch set by “git init” does not really
> matter to glibc development.

It matters only in the sense that developers will become comfortable
with making new repositories, and the default branch in those new
repositories will be something, and that will become the new normal
for developers.

For example if we switched to "main" and the rest of the developer
community switches to "trunk" then we have to explain that our "main"
is the equivalent of the default "trunk" created by git init when
you start a project.

I have no objection over using "main" today, just a concern to stay
aligned with the default development branch name used by git init.

Does that clarify my position?