Pseudoterminal terminology (was Re: Rename "master" branch to "main"?)

Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) mtk.manpages@gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 19:27:41 GMT 2020

On 7/28/20 8:47 PM, enh wrote:
[...]

> parent/child might be a good choice for the related forkpty(). (given
> bionic's "you'll probably be looking at this in Android Studio or Visual
> Studio Code's argument name completion UI, so let's use a longer name to
> save you a trip to the man page if you know roughly what you're doing but
> can't remember what order the arguments are in" style, that would probably
> still be `int forkpty(int* _Nonnull __parent_pty_fd, char* _Nullable
> __child_tty_name, ...`.)
>
> (note also that the man page for forkpty() seems to be the only place the
> return type is given as pid_t rather than int --- afaict all the libcs
> actually use int?)

The manual page seems to have been lifted (many years ago, before my
time) from OpenBSD, where the return type really is pid_t.

I wonder what the implications of changing this in glibc are? Or maybe
the manual page just needs to be changed.

Thanks,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk