C-kermit fails

Mike michael@rmrco.com
Fri Jul 24 16:29:02 GMT 2020

Hi,

I normally install kermit on my Linux Ubuntu PC with the command
  sudo apt-get install ckermit

Now I get the message "E: Package 'ckermit' has no installation candidate"

Has something changed?

I sent this messagee to the C-kermit developer, Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu) and he said the following:
--------------
Apparently glibc was changed in a way that broke C-Kermit,
so the reaction of Linux packagers was to remove C-Kermit
from their distribution.  Somebody else wrote me about
this earlier today concerning Debian:

Debian's "solution" to the problem was to drop the package
after the initial bug was filed, without contacting
upstream about it at all(!), hence presumably why this is
news to you. I've done some digging, and it appears glibc
is to blame (they removed an interface in 2.28). This
patch from gentoo, which also apparently didn't think
about telling you (sigh) appears to fix it:

https://685096.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=589698

I have verified that it compiles now.

The right thing to do would be to encourage the glibc
people to put back the symbol that they deleted.  Because
if this change broke C-Kermit, it's likely to have broken
a lot more applications.

This is all above my skill level. Can someone out there help me? This is a critical need.

R. Michael Reynolds, mobile/text: 631-374-2537  michael@rmrco.com
Remote Measurements & Research Co.,  214 Euclid Ave., Seattle WA 98122