New x86-64 micro-architecture levels

Jan Beulich jbeulich@suse.com
Wed Jul 22 11:41:18 GMT 2020

On 22.07.2020 12:34, Florian Weimer wrote:
> The remaining issue is the - vs _ issue.  I think GCC currently uses
> “x86-64” in places that are not part of identifiers or target triplets.
> Richard mentioned “x86_64-” as a potential choice.  Would it be too
> awkward to have ”-march=x86_64-…”?

Personally I'm advocating for avoiding underscores whenever dashes
can also be used, and whenever they're not needed to distinguish
themselves from dashes (like in target triplets). But this doesn't
make their use "awkward" here of course - it's just my personal
view on it. And maybe, despite the main was sent _to_ just me, it
was really me you meant to ask ...

Jan