glibc 2.32 release strategy for ABI changes.

Carlos O'Donell carlos@redhat.com
Tue Jul 7 21:44:55 GMT 2020

Status update time:

On 7/3/20 5:49 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> (1) I want to see Adhemerval's signum-{generic,arch}.h series pushed
>     after a final review. I think this is ready and adds APIs for
>     the data we used to export and deprecates the other interfaces.

This is done and pushed.

> (2) I want to see HJ's <sys/platform/x86.h> series reviewed and
>     accepted and pushed or deferred for further discussion.
>
>     - HJ, Florian, What's the status on this?

This is under review.

> (3) I want to see the __libc_single_thread patches pushed. These
>     have been extensively reviewed and are ready for use.

This is done and pushed.

> (4) I want to see the rseq changes pushed. These have been
>     extensively reviewed, but testing has shown a problem with
>     the audit module framework, but a straight forward fix is
>     available for that (raise TLS_TCB_ALIGN as required) [1].

This is done and pushed.

Along with:
- elf: Do not signal LA_ACT_CONSISTENT for an empty namespace [BZ #26076]
  (to fix subsequent surplus TLS changes)

> (5) I want to review and get Adhemerval's 64-bit time_t fixes
>     pushed.

This is now reviewed.

This unblocks (6) and (7). Full steam ahead.

> (6) I want to see the ARC port pushed *after* (5) and after
>     review says they are ready.
>
>     - Vineet, If we get all of (5), is anything else needed?

What is our status on the ARC port?

Do we need additional review?

> (7) I want to see the RISC-V 32-bit port pushed *after* (5)
>     and after review says they are ready.
>
>     - Alistair, If we get all of (5), is there anything else needed?

What is our status on the RISC-V 32-bit port?

Do we need additional review?

> (8) I want to see the SunRPC deprecation pushed *after* (6)
>     and after review says they are ready. We want to do it in
>     this order to prove that the SunRPC deprecation correctly
>     cleans up a port, the ARC port, with a 2.32 baseline and
>     removes all trace of the old baseline compat symbols.

I have ack'd or reviewed:
- sunrpc: Remove hidden aliases for global data symbols [BZ #26210]
- sunrpc symbol cleanups

I don't think I've seen a final v6 of the deprecation patches here
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-alpha/2020-June/115574.html
that is a non-RFC.

We should move on that so we can clean this up for ARC and RISC-V 32-bit.

> I want to complete all of this by July 10th (next week).
>
> I do not want to add anything else to this already large list.
>
> The non-ABI fixes can keep going in and I'm particularly keen
> to see these fixes:
>
> (a) AArch64 BTI and PAC-RET.

Status?

> (b) Szabolcs's TLS reservation fixes.
>     - Internal ABI changes are OK e.g. GLIBC_PRIVATE.

Reviewed. Needs some fixing up after rseq changes. No semantic problems,
just needing extra TLS surplus to satisfy 8 module tests e.g. tst-auditmany.

> (c) Chung-Lin Tang's DSO sorting fixes.

Reviewed and waiting on new version to review.

> (d) DJ's NSS nsswitch.conf reloading changes.

Next up for me to review.

> (e) Regression fix for en_US date.

Next up for me to post.

> (f) x86: Add thresholds for "rep movsb/stosb" to tunables

Reviewed and pushed.

> I want machine maintainers to test from July 13 to July 30th.
>
> I want to cut the branch August 3rd.
>
> Please review the above details. If anything seems out of place
> please call it out. If we are missing dependencies or if you think
> something won't make the cut, please say so.
>
> As a reminder glibc runs a time boxed release. I will cut features
> and revert code to make the August 3rd release.

Carlos.