tests failing on x86_64-linux

Martin Sebor msebor@gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 21:17:31 GMT 2020

On 12/9/20 11:28 AM, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 10:17 AM Martin Sebor via Libc-alpha
> <libc-alpha@sourceware.org> wrote:
>>
>> I've been seeing quite a few test failures in recent builds, more
>> than I used to in the past.  Are those expected?  I configure with
>> no options other than --prefix=/usr and after building without
>> installing (i.e., just make -j16) run make -j16 check.
>>
>> The results below are for the top of GCC/Glibc trunk on x86_64
>> Fedora Linux but I don't think using GCC 10 improves things much
>> if at all.
>>

> "make check" is clean for me on Fedora 33/x86-64.  Please make sure that
> you have all required packages installed, including libstdc++-static.

It's been a while since I built Glibc with the system compiler
so I must have misremembered the results.  Here they are for
my Fedora 29 machine (with libstdc++-static installed and with
--prefix=/usr):

gcc version 8.3.1 20190223 (Red Hat 8.3.1-2) (GCC)

UNSUPPORTED: assert/tst-assert-c++
UNSUPPORTED: assert/tst-assert-g++
UNSUPPORTED: debug/tst-chk4
UNSUPPORTED: debug/tst-chk5
UNSUPPORTED: debug/tst-chk6
UNSUPPORTED: debug/tst-lfschk4
UNSUPPORTED: debug/tst-lfschk5
UNSUPPORTED: debug/tst-lfschk6
UNSUPPORTED: dlfcn/bug-atexit3
UNSUPPORTED: elf/tst-audit10
UNSUPPORTED: elf/tst-avx512
UNSUPPORTED: elf/tst-env-setuid
UNSUPPORTED: elf/tst-env-setuid-tunables
XPASS: elf/tst-protected1a
XPASS: elf/tst-protected1b
UNSUPPORTED: math/test-double-libmvec-sincos-avx512
UNSUPPORTED: math/test-float-libmvec-sincosf-avx512
UNSUPPORTED: misc/tst-pkey
UNSUPPORTED: nptl/tst-cancel24
UNSUPPORTED: nptl/tst-cancel24-static
UNSUPPORTED: nptl/tst-minstack-throw
UNSUPPORTED: nptl/tst-once5
UNSUPPORTED: nptl/tst-thread-exit-clobber
UNSUPPORTED: nptl/tst-thread_local1
UNSUPPORTED: stdlib/tst-quick_exit
UNSUPPORTED: stdlib/tst-thread-quick_exit
Summary of test results:
    4214 PASS
      24 UNSUPPORTED
      16 XFAIL
       2 XPASS

And below are the results I see with today's top of GCC trunk.
All the failures are due to "original exit status 127" which IIUC
means the program wasn't found.  Yet they're all there.  Could it
have something to do with the paralellization?  The other
difference between the native build and my GCC 11 build is that
the latter is an unoptimized GCC so it takes quite a bit longer
to compile.

gcc version 11.0.0 20201209 (experimental) (GCC)

UNSUPPORTED: assert/tst-assert-c++
UNSUPPORTED: assert/tst-assert-g++
UNSUPPORTED: debug/tst-chk4
UNSUPPORTED: debug/tst-chk5
UNSUPPORTED: debug/tst-chk6
UNSUPPORTED: debug/tst-lfschk4
UNSUPPORTED: debug/tst-lfschk5
UNSUPPORTED: debug/tst-lfschk6
UNSUPPORTED: dlfcn/bug-atexit3
UNSUPPORTED: elf/tst-audit10
UNSUPPORTED: elf/tst-avx512
FAIL: elf/tst-dlopen-self-container
FAIL: elf/tst-dlopen-tlsmodid-container
UNSUPPORTED: elf/tst-env-setuid
UNSUPPORTED: elf/tst-env-setuid-tunables
FAIL: elf/tst-glibc-hwcaps-cache
FAIL: elf/tst-glibc-hwcaps-prepend-cache
FAIL: elf/tst-ldconfig-bad-aux-cache
FAIL: elf/tst-ldconfig-ld_so_conf-update
FAIL: elf/tst-pldd
XPASS: elf/tst-protected1a
XPASS: elf/tst-protected1b
FAIL: locale/tst-localedef-path-norm
FAIL: localedata/tst-localedef-hardlinks
UNSUPPORTED: math/test-double-libmvec-sincos-avx512
UNSUPPORTED: math/test-float-libmvec-sincosf-avx512
UNSUPPORTED: misc/tst-pkey
UNSUPPORTED: nptl/tst-cancel24
UNSUPPORTED: nptl/tst-cancel24-static
UNSUPPORTED: nptl/tst-minstack-throw
UNSUPPORTED: nptl/tst-once5
FAIL: nptl/tst-pthread-getattr
UNSUPPORTED: nptl/tst-thread-exit-clobber
UNSUPPORTED: nptl/tst-thread_local1
FAIL: nss/tst-nss-db-endgrent
FAIL: nss/tst-nss-db-endpwent
FAIL: nss/tst-nss-files-hosts-long
FAIL: nss/tst-nss-test3
FAIL: nss/tst-reload1
FAIL: posix/bug-ga2
UNSUPPORTED: posix/bug-ga2-mem
UNSUPPORTED: resolv/mtrace-tst-leaks2
FAIL: resolv/tst-leaks2
UNSUPPORTED: stdlib/tst-quick_exit
FAIL: stdlib/tst-system
UNSUPPORTED: stdlib/tst-thread-quick_exit
FAIL: string/tst-strerror
FAIL: string/tst-strsignal
Summary of test results:
      20 FAIL