Building Python 3 on old distributions
Siddhesh Poyarekar
siddhesh@gotplt.org
Fri Sep 7 21:47:00 GMT 2018
On Friday 07 September 2018 11:50 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> One question asked at today's glibc BoF at the Cauldron was how hard it
> was to build Python 3 on old GNU/Linux distributions, should we require it
> for the glibc build.
>
> I tried building Python 3.7.0 on Ubuntu 10.04, as the oldest distribution
> I have readily to hand for testing such things. I needed to build libffi
> 3.2.1 first:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/scratch/jmyers/python-install
> make
> make install
>
> and then could build Python 3.7.0:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/scratch/jmyers/python-install CPPFLAGS=-I/scratch/jmyers/python-install/lib/libffi-3.2.1/include LDFLAGS="-L/scratch/jmyers/python-install/lib -Wl,-rpath,/scratch/jmyers/python-install/lib"
> make -j8
> make install
>
> The resulting Python does not support the ssl module (OpenSSL is too old
> and I didn't try building newer OpenSSL locally). It *does* support
> hashlib.
We should not need openssl support to build glibc, so this shouldn't be
a problem.
It might be a good idea to make a list of modules that are allowed when
writing scripts directly related to build or bootstrap, maybe starting
with the following:
- os
- sys
- argparse
- subprocess
- time
- io
- re
and then adding as required, keeping the list as small as possible.
Siddhesh
More information about the Libc-alpha
mailing list