Automating the maintenance of the ChangeLog file

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh@gotplt.org
Wed Nov 21 16:53:00 GMT 2018

On 21/11/18 7:43 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Specifically, I propose:  Effective immediately, project policy
> requires the Git commit message for each commit to end with the full
> text of a traditional ChangeLog entry for that commit.  Most everyone

FWIW, this was my original proposal with a few more tags (Reviewed-By,
Signed-off-by, etc.) because it potentially has far less friction than
dropping the ChangeLog completely.

In fact it remains a fallback plan for me if the review for the current
proposed script takes too long.  I picked up 2.29 release management
with the express intention of getting rid of the ChangeLog file, so I
want to make sure that it happens in the next couple of months :)

Siddhesh