Seeking advice on writing a test [Re: [patch] Fix BZ 20419 -- stack overflow with huge PT_NOTE segment]

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh@gotplt.org
Mon May 7 09:47:00 GMT 2018


On 05/06/2018 11:47 PM, Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
> Assuming we do want to protect against it (which is easy to do, so why
> wouldn't we?), I am having hard time coming up with a reasonable test
> strategy.
> 
> I could write a little helper program to generate such a binary "by hand"
> (i.e. without compiler/linker involvement). Is there a simpler strategy?

Unless the helper is more generally applicable (i.e. you have a bigger 
test plan) I'd say it is overkill for just this bug.  That is, it would 
be nice to have such a helper but shouldn't be necessary for this bug.

BTW on a related note, given the recent malloc tcache improvements how 
much does this alloca even save in terms of performance?  If it is not 
very performance sensitive, it might make sense to just use malloc and 
not bother with alloca at all.

Siddhesh



More information about the Libc-alpha mailing list