[PATCH] assert: Suppress pedantic warning caused by statement expression [BZ# 21242]
Florian Weimer
fweimer@redhat.com
Tue Jul 4 14:00:00 GMT 2017
On 06/26/2017 12:56 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> I think we can use __extension__ if we also expand the expression
>> without __extension__ in an unevaluated context. The tricky part is to
>> find one that is independent of GNU extensions.
>> Perhaps this would work?
>>
>> # define assert(expr) \
>> ((void) sizeof ((expr) == 0), __extension__ ({ \
>> if (expr) \
>> ; /* empty */ \
>> else \
>> __assert_fail (#expr, __FILE__, __LINE__, __FUNCTION__); \
>> }))
>>
>> sizeof suppresses the evaluation of the first occurrence of expr. The
>> comparison is needed because sizeof cannot be applied to function
>> pointers and bitfields. C11 says that expr is compared to zero, so the
>> (expr) == 0 expression is well-formed.
>>
>> What do you think? Should we make this change?
>
> I think that's reasonable (appropriately commented to explain why it's
> done that way).
This is what I came up with as a patch.
I would consider this still appropriate during the freeze. It's
something we'd backport to glibc 2.25, too.
Thanks,
Florian
More information about the Libc-alpha
mailing list