[PATCH v7] getrandom system call wrapper [BZ #17252]
Florian Weimer
fweimer@redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 13:50:00 GMT 2016
On 11/17/2016 02:45 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On 11/17/2016 08:02 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> On 11/16/2016 05:41 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>>> On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>> On 11/16/2016 04:20 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>>>>> I am seriously considering escalating my disagreement here to a
>>>>> formal objection. I would like to know why you think it is
>>>>> NECESSARY - not merely convenient or consistent with other stuff -
>>>>> for this function to be a cancellation point.
>>>>
>>>> It's necessary if you ever want to cancel a hanging getrandom in a
>>>> context where you cannot install a signal handler (so that you can
>>>> trigger EINTR when getrandom is stuck).
>>>
>>> That only pushes the question back a level. When would it ever be
>>> necessary to do that? Be as concrete as you possibly can. Actual
>>> code from a real program, if possible.
>>
>> It's not clear to me what you are asking here.
>>
>> Do you mean cancellation in general, or cancellation in conjunction with
>> getrandom specifically?
>
> Sorry. I meant cancellation specifically of a thread hanging in getrandom.
I'm not sure how I can provide that, considering that there is currently
no way to cancel a thread which hangs in getrandom because we do not
provide a way for applications to implement system calls as cancellation
points (unless we provide a wrapper for the specific system call, of
course).
Florian
More information about the Libc-alpha
mailing list