Hash out a solution for ChangeLog/NEWS at the Cauldron?

Paul Eggert eggert@cs.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 5 04:05:00 GMT 2015


On 08/04/2015 05:26 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> They need to be ready by the time the next
> release happens and that I can take responsibility for.

Although it may be more convenient to switch to automatic ChangeLog 
generation immediately after a Glibc release, it's not required.  With 
Emacs we did the switch between releases, on April 7 of this year.

Although I tried to make the Emacs change as a "big bang", we later 
discovered several glitches with it and Glenn Morris and I have tweaked 
it several times since then (most recently June 10). As Glibc has its 
own needs, it probably can't just clone what Emacs does or what the 
other packages do, and we should expect a shakeout period after the 
change -- so it won't be atomic.

The biggest problem is likely to be educating developers about the new 
workflow.  It's important to have a brief writeup for developers, which 
explains things well.  "Brief" because people often don't want to bother 
reading it.  In Emacs this is in a top-level source file CONTRIBUTE and 
I suggest having a similar file in glibc.  (The Emacs CONTRIBUTE file is 
too long....)



More information about the Libc-alpha mailing list