fix -Werror regressions with gcc 4.8 on x86_64

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Tue Dec 23 23:10:00 GMT 2014


On Dec 23, 2014, Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On Dec 23, 2014, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> wrote:
>> 
>> > Here's a patch that fixes a few build errors I got when using GCC 4.8
>> > with -Werror.  Ok to install?
>> 
>> And here are a few more that I only hit when running the testsuite...
>> Ok to install?

> Are you building with -DNDEBUG?

Yeah.  I had no idea I was, but it looks like I picked that (and -O3) up
from a config.status created by a Fedora or Red Hat Enterprise
[GNU/]Linux build.

Taking them out, the build failures have indeed gone away.

Now, if we want to rule out -DNDEBUG builds, shouldn't we have some
Makefile CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS tester to report this error, instead of failing
in such obscure ways, that is a sure way to invite others to report and
offer patches in the future, in addition to requiring Red Hat and Fedora
to carry patches in future builds if they decide to keep on building
glibc with -DNDEBUG?

-- 
Alexandre Oliva, freedom fighter    http://FSFLA.org/~lxoliva/
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Gandhi
Be Free! -- http://FSFLA.org/   FSF Latin America board member
Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer



More information about the Libc-alpha mailing list