[PATCH] S/390: Fix two issues with the IFUNC optimized mem* routines

Andreas Krebbel krebbel@linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Sep 6 15:24:00 GMT 2012


On 06/09/12 16:50, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 06:09 AM, Andreas Krebbel wrote:
>> I tried this when implementing the z10 support. Unfortunately in most
>> cases using a GOT pointer is faster since all the instructions
>> support the <disp>(r12) address format and therefore can directly 
>> deal with the GOT slot. Not having a GOT pointer requires more
>> additional load relatives to be put into the code.
> 
> You mean like add, for combining the loaded address with some
> other offset?  I'm surprised that happens often enough to have
> a noticeable effect.  Unless there's some secondary effect I'm
> not considering?

Sorry I did confuse this with my literal pool experiments. You are right using GOT contents in
arithmetic instructions should be a rare case. I'll have a look.

Thanks.

-Andreas-



More information about the Libc-alpha mailing list