glibc/DEC Alpha questions

Maciej W. Rozycki macro@linux-mips.org
Sun Oct 18 21:23:00 GMT 2009


On Sun, 18 Oct 2009, Matt Turner wrote:

> Alpha was moved to ports last December [0], apparently due to not
> having an active maintainer.

 If that's the case (I didn't track the state of affairs here and must 
have missed that, but I had expected that would eventually happen), then 
things should be much easier.  Getting patches applied to ports is rather 
straightforward and a number of people have write privilege there.  You 
still need to get a patch approved by someone who has a clue about Alpha, 
but frequently enough the patch will be obvious either by itself or if 
accompanied with a decent explanation (which you have to give anyway).

 And last but not least -- it's possible to become a port maintainer for 
ports in a similar manner to binutils/GCC/GDB/etc.  You (or someone else) 
need to submit a couple of reasonable patches to show interest and 
volunteer.  Experience recorded with other GNU projects, especially if 
related to the Alpha, will score too.  I doubt RTH will object -- I 
haven't seen him being involved with the Alpha for many years and the move 
to ports certainly confirms it.

  Maciej



More information about the Libc-alpha mailing list