[PATCH v5] ELF: implement AT_RANDOM for glibc PRNG seeding

Andrew Morton akpm@linux-foundation.org
Tue Oct 21 20:04:00 GMT 2008


On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 10:59:17 -0700
Kees Cook <kees.cook@canonical.com> wrote:

> While discussing[1] the need for glibc to have access to random bytes
> during program load, it seems that an earlier attempt to implement
> AT_RANDOM got stalled.  This implements a random 16 byte string, available
> to every ELF program via a new auxv AT_RANDOM vector.
> 
> [1] http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2008-10/msg00006.html

I read the above changeloglet and read the above-linked page and it's
still 87% unclear to me what this feature does.  Something to do with
stack randomisation, apparently.  I suppose I could go do further
hunting, but from the quality-of-changelog POV I don't think I should
need to do so.

IOW: better changelog, please.

It's unclear to me that the random-number issue got sorted out?



More information about the Libc-alpha mailing list