[PATCH] PowerPC64 port part 1 of 7

Roland McGrath roland@frob.com
Fri Aug 23 14:25:00 GMT 2002


> These files do not exist in the powerpc64. If I had to override them in
> powerpc64 the files would be empty! So yes I believe it is correct and
> required to move these files from powerpc to powerpc/powerpc32.

Ok, that is fine.  But you were not clear about it before.
 
> For files that need to exist in both powerpc32 and powerpc64, the script
> just sets the initial state for powerpc64 that I would then patch to be
> powerpc64 specific. The hope is to make the total patch smaller by not
> having to submit entire files in the diff.

Ok.  This makes sense, but it was not at all clear from in your last
message.  I would rather use mv than patch for the powerpc -> powerpc32
files being moved intact.  The new powerpc64 files need to be reviewed by
Geoff or someone else authoritative for PPC (which is not me), and I
imagine that for powerpc64 files modified from the powerpc32 versions it is
easier to look at the diffs.

> But the powerpc64 copies are not required. The important thing it get the
> initial powerpc32/powerpc64 split without breaking every one else. Also
> leaving the powerpc32 side configurable and buildable. The powerpc64 can
> then be added incrementally.

I agree.  

> I am really trying to be a good citizen and minimize disruption.

We appreciate that, and we are just trying to explain how and understand
enough to help you do it.



More information about the Libc-alpha mailing list