A libgcc patch for gcc 3.0
H . J . Lu
hjl@lucon.org
Fri Mar 23 21:16:00 GMT 2001
On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 12:48:25AM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>
> Please check the gcc/glibc mailing list archives. There are many
> threads on this topic. Here are a few
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-02/msg00485.html
>
> There's nothing glibc-specific about this problem.
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-02/msg00896.html
>
> Again nothing glibc-specific about it. Yes, things start to get messy
Glibc is the only system I put gcc on. I doubt you will find many
things linked to libgcc_s.so.0 under /sbin or /bin on Solaris.
> when multiple shared libgcc's are installed, especially when people
> start messing with -R/-rpath and/or LD_LIBRARY_PATH. But I fail to
> understand how your patch is going to solve that in a reliable way.
> Not installing a shared libgcc if one has been found in /lib indeed
> does avoid increasing the number of installed libgcc's under some
> circumstances, but also might deprive people of a necessary libgcc
> update.
I just don't want installing gcc also overwrites the system shared
libgcc BY DEFAULT. It should only be done by an explicit configure time
option of gcc.
H.J.
More information about the Libc-alpha
mailing list