Building on Windows (was: Path character in lists.scm)

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Tue Jan 20 08:26:00 GMT 2015

On 01/16/2015 11:21 AM, Jeff Gonis wrote:
> Hi Per,
>
> So while I was working to build kawa on windows I kept running into an
> error while building talking about an illegal character when trying to
> compile lists.scm in the rnrs directory.  After spending some time
> looking at it, I realized that the path separator in the require
> statement was using a forward slash which blows up in windows.

I just spent much of the day updating my Windows partition, installing Java,
and building Kawa.  I didn't run into the problem you reported.

Note this is on Windows 8.1, and using JDK 1.8.0_25.

(1) I built Kawa using Ant - no problems.

(2) I downloaded MinGW, and install mingw-developer-toolkit.
In the msys console I did:
    ./configure --prefix=`pwd`/dist
(Worked, with some warnings from chmod.)
   make
Failed because of an outdated makeinfo failed to build doc/kawa.info.
The work-around is to just re-run make, or do: make -k

BTW. Most of the testsuite runs fine under MinGW.  I suggest trying:
   make -k
There is a gratifyingly small number of failures.  They seem to be
mostly (or perhaps all) related to line endings (CRLF vs LF).
Some are I haven't figured out.

Some failures are I'm not sure what is correct.  For example,
the ~% format specifier - should that emit "\r\n" or just "\n"?
The CommonLisp hyperSpec suggests the latter.  Does it depend on whether the
target is  string or a file?  What do other Scheme and Lisp implementations do?
What is most useful and least surprising?

(3) I'm trying to build Kawa using Cygwin as well, but so far without
success.  I get:
   configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub
And indeed when I manually run:
   /bin/sh ./config.sub
I get some strange errors I haven't figured out yet.