Building for target mips2_fp_le possible?

Geert Vancompernolle gvcompernolle@scarlet.be
Sat May 10 11:11:00 GMT 2008

Keith Seitz wrote:
> Geert Vancompernolle wrote:
>
>> 1. When running ./config.sub mips, I only get the target
>> "mips-unknown-elf".
>>
>> Is there a possibility to compile for mips2_fp_le?  Can
>> mips-unknown-elf be used for that?
>
> Good question -- I don't know! You should ask on the gdb@ list if gdb
> can be configured for your target. [Insight is the gui on top of gdb:
> if gdb can debug it, Insight should also be able to.]
>
>> 2. Is it possible to build for a Windows host and a Linux target?  I
>> would like to know if I can run Insight on a Win32 platform and using
>> it to debug an embedded Linux system.
>
> While I've never tried it, I would guess that it is possible. Again,
> your best bet is to ask the gdb folks. I haven't built/used anything
> but linux native for a long time (occasionally cygwin native).
>
> Keith

Well, I (think I) finally figured out how to proceed with that config.sub.

In my very case, I want to compile Insight for PC as host and
mips2_fp_le as target.  The only thing which is important, is that the
configuration file must be able to find the compilers for the target given.

So, what I did was the following:

* I added the following section into the config.sub file (in the "case
$basic_machine in" section):

    mips2_fp_le)
        basic_machine=$basic_machine-unknown
        os=-linux
        ;;

   I added it just after the following lines:

    mips3*)
        basic_machine=`echo $basic_machine | sed -e
's/mips3/mips64/'`-unknown
        ;;

* This will result in searching for "mips2_fp_le-gcc",
"mips2_fp_le-g++", and so on during the run of "./configure
--target=mips2_fp_le"

* The only thing that is important, is that ./configure can find the
compilers for the target given.  So, ./configure must be able to fine
"mips2_fp_le-gcc", "mips2_fp_le-g++", and so on, to be able to compile
gdb for the target.
   Therefore, it's best to make sure the path is extended to the
location where ./configure is supposed to find all the executables for
that target.

* Once this is done, I should have the Insight GUI running on the PC,
while the gdb should have been compiled for the mips2_fp_le target.

I still have to test it, though (I'm at home and the set-up is at the
office), but I will come back with the results of this "experiment".

--
Best rgds,

-- Geert