Feedback from GSL folks on libflame 4.0

Brian Gough bjg@gnu.org
Tue Feb 23 13:13:00 GMT 2010

At Fri, 19 Feb 2010 22:30:36 -0600,
Field G. Van Zee wrote:
> Or, as you said, we could go the errno route. We would need someone
> else (Brian) to explain how exactly to implement this sort of thing.

Using errno in a multithreaded program relies on operating system
support for thread-local storage, which creates a new set of
portability problems of its own.

> We recently added shared library generation. We compile the source
> with -fPIC and then link with -shared. Worked the first first time I
> tried it, and so it seemed too good/easy to be true. Am I missing
> something?

It is that simple on GNU/Linux, but other operating systems have
different incompatible methods.  Also, there is the issue of
supporting shared library versions if you want to allow the library to
be safely updated independent of any applications using it.

--
Brian Gough