Feedback from GSL folks on libflame 4.0

Robert G. Brown rgb@phy.duke.edu
Fri Feb 19 18:41:00 GMT 2010

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Brian Gough wrote:

> At Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:10:45 -0600,
> Field G. Van Zee wrote:
>> Notice that we only use autoconf, not automake or libtool. Why is
>> using autoconf undesirable? We were trying to be good GNU software
>> citizens when we designed the build system.
>
> Thanks for using autoconf. I think it is a good thing.
>
> As a maintainer, I also like automake and libtool because they
> standardise the build process and reduce the amount of code I am
> responsible for -- if there is a problem, I just pass it over to the
> automake/libtool maintainers.  Automake's "make distcheck" is also a
> nice feature.

Yeah, I don't really think of them as optional these days.  They are far
from perfect and often a PITA, but what they do is necessary.  And
somebody takes care of them, so they usually aren't broken.  The
problems they solve are ugly problems; one can't expect an absolutely
gorgeous solution.

Kind of a love/hate thing...

    rgb

> --
> Brian Gough
>
> GNU Scientific Library -
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@phy.duke.edu