constants update

Jochen Küpper jochen@fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Thu Jan 10 11:21:00 GMT 2008

On 10.01.2008, at 11:16, Oliver Jennrich wrote:

> I'm wondering if updating the constants without a possibility to
> revert to an earlier version is a good idea.

Generally this is an important point for reproducibility.

However, personally, I do not care. Under normal circumstances I want
to use the current "correct" values. If I want to reproduce some old
calculation I use the same old GSL version to really get the same
calculation results - after all the code also changes continuously.

> Would it be useful to have something like
>
> GSL_CONST_MKSA_SPEED_OF_LIGHT_2000
> GSL_CONST_MKSA_SPEED_OF_LIGHT_2006
>
> and
>
> GSL_CONST_MKSA_SPEED_OF_LIGHT
>
> to be either of the two, depending on a #define?

The default value should definitely be the latest, but one could
envision to have
   GSL_CONST_CODATA_1998
define the values according to that standard. However, someone needs
to implement it and it needs to be maintained as time goes and new
standards are published.
It should also be made clear that everybody uses the latest values
for scientific calculations...

Greetings,
Jochen
--