Bug report and fix for adaptive step size control in ODE solving

Brian Gough bjg@network-theory.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 15:54:00 GMT 2008

At Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:14:17 +0100,
Frank Reininghaus wrote:
> I've found some problems with adaptive step size control which can
> lead to an infinite loop under special circumstances. I've attached
> three test case programs where the rhs of the ODE to be solved is a
> step function. All programs lead to infinite loops either in the the
> loop in my code (which should be equivalent to the loop in the example
> program
> in the documentation) or in gsl_odeiv_evolve_apply () (in the file
> ode-initval/evolve.c) for different reasons.

Thanks for the bug report. This is really useful.
I am adding the examples to the test suite right now.
Then I'll see what the best solution is.

--
Brian Gough