names in multimin section

Brian Gough bjg@network-theory.co.uk
Thu Mar 2 18:57:00 GMT 2006

Giulio Bottazzi writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I think that in a couple of cases the names in the multimin section
 > are a little bit inconsistent (or, at least, hard to remember...).
 >
 > First: if the function with derivatives is of type
 >
 > gsl_multimin_function_fdf
 >
 > then one expects the type of the function without derivatives to be
 >
 > gsl_multimin_function_f
 >
 > rather than gsl_multimin_function.
 >

 > Second: the present value of the objective function is stored in the
 > variable "f" of the structure "gsl_multimin_fdfminimizer" but in the
 > variable "fval" of the structure "gsl_multimin_fminimizer".

I agree it's a bit inconsistent, unfortunately it's difficult to
change these things once the library is released. Generally I prefer
not to break the API as I get tired when other libraries do that
unnecessarily.

There are the functions gsl_multimin_fdfminimizer_minimum and
gsl_multimin_fminimizer_minimum in this case, so the actual values in
the struct are less important.

--
Brian Gough