gsl_multifit_fdfsolver_lsmder memory usage

Peter Verveer verveer@embl-heidelberg.de
Sun Mar 16 18:48:00 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I recently started converting some numerical code to GSL and replaced a
Levenberg-Marquardt routine which was a C translation of lmdif from MINPACK.
However, I found that the GSL solver gsl_multifit_fdfsolver_lsmder uses a lot
of memory, since it appears to  allocate a matrix of m times m, where m is
the number of functions. This causes me many problems since I work with large
data sets (10,000-100.000 data points is not unusual) and obviously memory
requirements quickly get out of hand then. I had a look at the original
fortran MINPACK which does not seem to require this. Is there a particular
reason gsl_multifit_fdfsolver_lsmder needs so much memory, and could this
eventually be changed?

Cheers, Peter

--
Dr. Peter J. Verveer
Cell Biology and Cell Biophysics Programme