trouble with autogen.sh from cvs

Achim Gädke Achim.Gaedke@physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Jan 30 22:27:00 GMT 2003

Martin Jansche wrote:

>In my experience it's not just libtool.  For me it works with libtool
>1.4.3, automake 1.4 and autoconf 2.13, but breaks with automake 1.6 or
>1.7, or with autoconf 2.50.

I've adapted the configure.in to the new version. configure.in is now
called configure.ac, so you should rename configure.in.

Trouble was caused by nested macro calls:

AC_TRY_COMPILE([#define hypot /* */
#include <math.h>],[{}],[],AC_CHECK_FUNCS(hypot))

These have to be quoted

AC_TRY_COMPILE([#define hypot /* */
#include <math.h>],[{}],[],[AC_CHECK_FUNCS(hypot)])

as stated in the autoconf->Programming in M4->M4 Quotation->Quotation
and Nested Macros
It took me 4 hours to get to that point. :-(

I hope the autoconf,automake versions are reguarded as stable and we can
move to them on a nice sunny day...