Fixing parameters for nonlinear least squares fitting

Simon Martin simon.martin@sheffield.ac.uk
Thu May 30 08:27:00 GMT 2002

Hi
I'm working on a program that fits some data using the noninear least
squares routines from GSL.  I have written a C++ object that implements
the example from the manual pages.  This works very well.  Now I'd like
to be able to select which parameters are fitted - experience shows that
some parameters are best fitted independently of others.  My idea was to
set the relevent terms in the Jacobian to zero - thinking that this
would effectively meant that these parameters were at their ideal
values.  Unfortunately, doesn't work.  The fixed parameter goes to
infinity and the other parameters go to NaN.

Does anybody know A way around this?

Simon