Help with ODE's

Sam Halliday sam@neutrino.phy.uct.ac.za
Mon Apr 29 04:24:00 GMT 2002

Hello there,

i think gsl is a fantastic project, and i've been using it in my simulations
since i found out about it.

i have only ever had to solve 2 ODEs at one time, and i was lucky enough that
the example in the documentation deals with this scenario, however i find the
API of the ODE part of the library to be somewhat cryptic and i am having
problems changing my code to solve for 3 ODEs at one time.. could anyone
please give me some pointers as to how i would do that?

and also, i noticed that to do an 8th order runge-kutta i must declare a
jacobian, could somebody please explain to me how i get this from my
equations? i am aware of jacobians in mathematics, but never heard of it in
numerics, i must admit i am of an analytic background.

thanks in advance!
Sam Halliday
--
If a man had a child who'd gone anti-social, killed perhaps, he'd still
tend to protect that child.