Some extension of the histogram ruotines

Gerard Jungman jungman@lanl.gov
Thu Jan 27 12:20:00 GMT 2000

Simone Piccardi wrote:

> In particular we need routines to copy,

Yes, copying is a real sore point in GSL. We really need copy methods
for all the GSL objects. Tedious.

> add/subctract/multiply/divide
> histogram, to get the maximum/minimum bin content (and its coordinates);

These are also clearly useful. Once again, let me point out to
my fellow developers that this sort of thing could really be
nice in a C++ implementation, where histograms would be an
implementation of a container idiom and would thus export
concepts like "element by element transformation" automatically
(for instance, using stdlib algorithms such as for_each()).

> I already wrote some code to provide these extensions, based the
> gsl_histogram_* routines and data structures, I think that instead of
> keeping this code inside GSDV it would be nice to give it back to GSL,
> let me know if this can be useful for you and how I could do so.

Please send it. Brian wrote the histogram stuff, so he will deal
with it. It might take a couple weeks, since he is busy right
now on a contract job.

--
G. Jungman