Using section flags to indicate stripable or persistent sections

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Nov 9 11:09:11 GMT 2022

Hi Guys,

   OK, I agree that using the section flags is a bad idea.

   Using an extended section types is a nice idea, but I think that
   it will probably not solve the underlying problem of inconsistent
   section stripping - we would still need to persuade the tool
   maintainers to agree on which section types are stripped with each
   given strip option, and when new types are added the options would
   have to be updated.

   For now I think that the KISS principle applies.  The strip tools
   have methods for explicitly specifying which sections should be
   removed, so whilst it might be a bit cumbersome if lots of sections
   have to specified, it can be done.

   Extension suggestion withdrawn.

Cheers
   Nick